Beer Braised Sausages are an easy, hearty meal that is flavorful – just the right amount of spicy and sweet!
Hello, I’m Jenny from Honey and Birch and I am back again! Today, I am sharing with you an easy, hearty meal that would be great for St. Patrick’s Day or dinner!
Whenever my husband and his buddies get together for a guys’ night, I love to have them over for dinner first. I have a handful of easy, hearty meals that I can throw together for last minute gatherings.
One of my favorite ways to entertain is to braise meats in beer. My husband gets a kick out of it and I love the subtle flavors the beer gives the meat.
These beer braised Italian sausages are combined with green bell peppers and onion chunks – their flavors mixed with a light beer (like lager or pilsner) are perfect together. We either serve the sausages over pasta or boiled potatoes!
We usually buy a pound of Italian sausage and cut it into 2 inch chunks. Then I heat some olive oil in a large skillet and brown the outside of the sausage.
When it is browned evenly, I remove the sausages and add the green bell peppers and onion. I saute them for a few minutes, then add the beer and return the sausage to the skillet (and add a little seasoning.) I bring the liquid to a boil and then let it simmer, turning the sausage occasionally.
Once the liquid has reduced, you are left with an easy, hearty meal that is flavorful – just the right amount of spicy and sweet!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 (12 ounce) cans light beer (like lager or pilsner)
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add sausages and brown the sausage. Turn occasionally until all sides are browned. When browned, remove sausage from skillet; set aside.
- Increase the heat to high and add the onion and green pepper. Sauté until softened, about 7 minutes. Add beer, sausages, oregano and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 30 minutes. Salt to taste.
- Serve over cooked pasta or potatoes.
Looking for more beer-based meals perfect for St. Patrick’s Day?
Try my slow cooker beer cheese soup!
Join our Newsletter!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.