Beer Braised Sausages are an easy, hearty meal that is flavorful – just the right amount of spicy and sweet!
Beer Braised Sausages
Hello, I’m Jenny from Honey and Birch and I am back again! Today, I am sharing with you an easy, hearty meal that would be great for St. Patrick’s Day or dinner! Whenever my husband and his buddies get together for a guys’ night, I love to have them over for dinner first. I have a handful of easy, hearty meals that I can throw together for last minute gatherings. One of my favorite ways to entertain is to braise meats in beer. My husband gets a kick out of it and I love the subtle flavors the beer gives the meat.
Beer Braised Sausages Ingredients
- Italian sausage
- Olive oil
- Sweet yellow onion
- Green bell peppers
- Light beer (lager or pilsner)
- Red pepper flakes
How to Make Beer Braised Sausages
These beer braised Italian sausages are combined with green bell peppers and onion chunks – their flavors mixed with a light beer (like lager or pilsner) are perfect together. We either serve the sausages over pasta or boiled potatoes! We usually buy a pound of Italian sausage and cut it into 2 inch chunks. Then I heat some olive oil in a large skillet and brown the outside of the sausage.
When it is browned evenly, I remove the sausages and add the green bell peppers and onion. I sauté them for a few minutes, then add the beer and return the sausage to the skillet (and add a little seasoning.) I bring the liquid to a boil and then let it simmer, turning the sausage occasionally.
Once the liquid has reduced, you are left with an easy, hearty meal that is flavorful – just the right amount of spicy and sweet!
Tools Used to make Beer Braised Sausages:
- Ceramic Frying Pan: GreenPan makes the best nonstick frying pans. They’re a must for any kitchen!
- Stainless Steel Knives: I love this Cuisinart set! They’re easy to take care of and work great for meal prep.
- Mixing Bowls: Nothing beats these classic mixing bowls!
For More Beer-Based Recipes for St. Patrick’s Day? Check Out:
For more St. Patrick’s Day Ideas, Check Out:
Beer Braised Sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet yellow onion sliced
- 2 green bell peppers cut into strips
- 2 12 ounce cans light beer (like lager or pilsner)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add sausages and brown the sausage. Turn occasionally until all sides are browned. When browned, remove sausage from skillet; set aside.
- Increase the heat to high and add the onion and green pepper. Sauté until softened, about 7 minutes. Add beer, sausages, oregano and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 30 minutes. Salt to taste.
- Serve over cooked pasta or potatoes.