Hi friends! Today I’m excited to not only bring you the most delicious Crock Pot French Onion Soup recipe, but just like we did last year, we’re continuing on with 12 Bloggers – 12 Months – 12 Ingredients (or less)! Remember, each month again this year on the 12th, 11 of my bloggy friends and I are bringing you a delicious and easy recipe, with a theme! And the theme this month is 12 Slow Cooker Soup Recipes!
Mmmm…I just love soup recipes for this time of year. The perfect meal to heat up your home and your belly! One of my favorite soups to order when we’re out is French Onion Soup. I had always thought it would be near impossible to make at home – but with this crock pot recipe and just a little time to get those onions golden, you’ll be amazed at how well it turns out!
I started out the soup by browning two JUMBO onions in butter, adding a little sugar at the end and letting them carmalize a bit. I then added a little cooking sherry to deglaze the pan and get all those yummy browned butter bits. I transfterred this aromatic onion mixture to the crock pot, added some beef broth and spices and cooked for a few hours and voila! Delicious soup.
But that’s not all. Once I knew I was about to serve up the soup, I simply tossed some mozzarrella and parmesan cheese (you can also substitute with gruyere and emmental) on top of a slice of french bread and broiled that until the cheese was bubbly and browning. Top off your cup (or bowl) of soup with this cheesy bread and you’re set to go!
Those are the basics, but if you’d like to give the full on recipe a try – just know it’s tried, true – and yummy!
Crock Pot French Onion Soup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 large jumbo yellow onions, sliced into rings
- 1/2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- French bread
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Once melted, add onions and cook onions until they become translucent, about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle onions with sugar; reduce heat to medium.
Cook, stirring constantly, until onions are soft and browned.
Stir sherry into onion mixture and scrape bottom of pot to dissolve brown bits from the pot.
Transfer onion mixture into a crock pot and add in beef broth.
Season to taste with seasoning salt; stir in thyme.
Cover crock pot and cook on High for 4 to 6 hours or Low for 8 to 10 hours.
Arrange a slice(s) of French bread on pan, cover with shredded cheeses.
Broil until cheese is melted, bubbly and beginning to brown on edges.
Top a cup or bowl of soup with cheesy French bread and serve.
You can substitute Gruyere and Emmental cheeses for the Mozzarella and Parmesan; I simply used what we had on hand.
And there you have it, Crock Pot French Onion Soup, just like you’d get at your favorite restaurant. At home. Made by YOU! Now remember there are 12 Slow Cooker Soup Recipes! So be sure to check out the other amazing recipes from these amazing ladies!
- Crockpot Pork Ramen Soup from BetsyLife
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup from Home Cooking Memories
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Cooking on the Front Burner
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings from Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Slow cooker Sweet Potato Chili from Million Moments
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup from White Lights on Wednesday
- Crock Pot French Onion Soup from A Night Owl
- Beef Stroganoff Soup from Pink Cake Plate
- Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup from I Love My Disorganized Life
- Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup from See Vanessa Craft
- Green Chile Pork Stew from Around My Family Table
- Slow Cooker Beef and Vegetable Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
Now there are a whole lot of FANTASTIC slow cooker recipes, right? Be sure to let me know if you make our Crock Pot French Onion Soup – and tell us what you think! And be sure to check back next month on the 12th for our next theme and collection of recipes!