I don’t know about you, but I love me some appetizers! In cute cups. Wonton cups. Filled with Chunky Chicken Salad.
Okay, so, I didn’t always put my famous chicken salad in wonton cups, but now I have and I love it even more. Yes, it’s famous. It doesn’t matter if it’s only famous in my corner of the world – to me it is famous. These cups might make it famouser. I know what you’re saying, I can hear you – That’s not a worrrrrrd! … Oh… well… now it is! 😛
Soooo, what do you do with leftover chicken?
I throw it on top of a pizza, sometimes I add it to a taco shell, or I mix it in this salad together with marinated mushrooms, pickles, and sour cream. YEP! Don’t knock it ’til you try it! You will be eating up your fingers – it’s that good!
In fact, when I go to a BBQ, this is the salad that I am asked to bring 90% of the time. The other 10% is reserved for dessert. But, I bring dessert wherever I go – can’t have me a partaaaaay without somethin’ sweet, ya know.
And since the weather decided to go from 45 to 90 in less than 42.5 hours, I think you need to go to a BBQ and bring this salad with you.
Imma tell you one thing – you can put as much or as little as you want into that salad. I never measure. As I said, I just throw in the ingredients, mix in the sour cream, and fill up the wonton cups.
Like this recipe? Check out others by Kate:
Chunky Chicken Salad Cups
For the Wonton Cups
- 12 Wonton Cups
- baking spray
For the Chicken Salad
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast, cooled
- 1 cup chopped marinated mushrooms canned mushrooms work just as well
- 1 cup chopped baby dill pickles
- 1 tub 8 oz. sour cream (I prefer to use Daisy Sour Cream for this recipe)
Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly grease a 12-cup cupcake tin with baking spray.
Place wonton wrappers in the bottom of the pan.
Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until crisp and slightly brown.
Prepare the chicken salad by combining all ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl; mix well.
Fill baked wonton cups with chicken salad.
Rachel Schindler says
Sounds delicious…what brand of marinated mushrooms do you use? I also have to tell you that the way you worded this post, had my mouth watering…haha
Kate P says
Thanks SO much!! 🙂
I think the jar that I buy is by Belletierri’s … some brand that I found at the local grocery store. You can use any that you want, or the ones that come in a can. Also, you can fry up some baby portobella and throw those in there, if you want! 🙂
Denysia Yu says
Wow, what an awesome and easy recipe! 😀
jessica @fourgenerationsoneroof says
These look delicious! Just shared on my FB page 🙂
Jennifer @ Celebrating Everyday Life says
YUM! I love chicken salad and these little wonton cups make them adorable and totally party-worthy!! Thanks for the inspiration!!! ~ Hugs, Jennifer
Randi - Dukes and Duchesses says
I love the idea of serving the salad in wonton cups … adorable and delicious! Can’t wait to try this.
Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats says
ok, love how these are so cute and petite, plus they look delicious. What great idea to make them with wonton wrappers to add a little crunch. Great recipe! 🙂
What a delicious looking appetizer!!! And the little cups look so cute! Perfect for a party or a picnic!
Great use for leftover wonton skins. 🙂 I’ve only done sweet things with it like these apple and curd cups.
I’d love to make these for my daughter’s birthday party, but would need to make the wonton cups the night before to save time. Has anyone done this? How did you store them?
Kate P says
Hi, Anissa! I’ve done it many, many times. I just leave them on the kitchen counter, covered with a kitchen towel.