Hi friends! Can you believe that Halloween is right around the corner? It seemed like just yesterday that we were starting out the year and now it’s almost over! Halloween is such a fun time for kids, I love all the costumes, dressing up and all the fun activities! We’ve shared a couple costumes with you already, but today I’m excited to bring you yet another adorable costume, this Wizard of Oz Dorothy Costume! Another great Michaels Makers project; almost everything you need you can snag at Michaels! Let’s go through the steps…
What you will need:
- 2 rolls of light blue tulle (it is really sheer and you will need more)
- 1 roll of sparkly blue tulle (for accents)
- 40 inches of a blue gingham ribbon
- White tank top
- Crystal bead embellishments in red
- Little heels
- Paint brush
- Red glitter
- Fabric fusion glue
- Red ribbon
- Small basket
- Dog stuffed animal
Note: the amount of tulle needed is dependent on the size of your child’s waist. The one made was 20 inches.
Making the Tutu:
- Find the middle of your 40 inch ribbon because you will want to make the first tulle loop there, and mark it with a paper clip or tape.
- Start cutting strips of the tulle. This will also depend on the length you want the tutu to be – the shorter the fluffier it seems to be. These strips of tulle were 20 inches long, but you will be folding these in half so the strips will look 10 inches long. Cut up both of the rolls of light blue tulle since that is your base color. Then cut up some of the sparkly tulle for accents.
- Place your ribbon in front of you, on your lap or the table and have the tulle strips next to you.
- Fold the tulle in half and place it under the ribbon. You will then pull the ends through the loop over the ribbon (see pictures). Do this with base color and alternating however you want with the sparkly tulle. Make sure you alternate from the center so you have an even amount of strips from the middle of the ribbon.
- Continue adding strips until it fits all the way around your little ones waist and you can tie it into a bow!
We found little black shoes with heels that were perfect for Dorothy’s red slippers! If you don’t find red glitter shoes, rest assured you can make some in no time!
Making the Red Slippers:
- Simply paint on a layer of decoupage onto the outside of your shoes.
- Add red glitter and let dry.
- Once glitter is dried on, add another layer of decoupage to seal in the glitter.
Note: it is easiest to work on the shoes in sections!
While we opted for a simple top, a few embellishments will add to the cuteness factor!
Embellishing the top:
- Using red crystal beads and fabric fusion, add a heart and beads in the shape of a heart to the tank top.
- Cut strips of red ribbon and twine to tie on the shoulders. Cute!
And that’s it! There you have it, one adorable Wizard of Oz Dorothy Costume for your little one! It may seem like a lot of steps, but once you get going you can get all of it done in one afternoon! And I found the most PERFECT little basket at Michaels (of course) for Dorothy’s little dog…
And when it’s on, it’s just about the cutest thing in the whole wide world. I just LOVE tutu costumes, don’t you?
And that is our Wizard of Oz Dorothy Costume! Cutest costume ever? Just maybe. I really love how it turned out! Thanks to our contributor Jenn for helping us with the costume and for lending us the perfect little model. If you’re looking for more Halloween inspiration, be sure to check out Michaels’ Halloween Market lookbook or Halloween Pinterest board for some project favorites, including costumes, personalized pumpkins, porch décor and more. Haven’t decided what you want to be yet? Take a look at some of Michaels DIY Halloween costume projects on Michaels.com for inspiration.
Like this costume? Check out MORE of our Kids Halloween Ideas:
Now hop around to MORE Halloween costume ideas by the other marvelous Makers!
<!– end InLinkz script —>