This Easy No Sew Scarecrow Costume is a breeze to make and is just oh so cute!
Easy No Sew Scarecrow Costume
Hi friends! It’s time for another fabulous Michaels Makers project! Since it is the FIRST DAY of October, it’s officially ok to start full steam ahead into Halloween planning, right?! Is it just me or does is seem like every year each kid comes up with about 50 different things they want to be? I think mine are still in final negotiations for their trick or treat Halloween costumes, but if you’re still looking to be inspired, today we’re sharing an Easy No Sew Scarecrow Costume that ANYONE can whip up in one afternoon if you’re in a pinch! These are my favorite kind of DIY costumes…no crazy time or sewing skills required!
Scarecrow Costume Supplies:
- Foam hat
- Straw colored yarn
- Self adhesive velcro
- Burlap ribbon
- Glue gun/hot glue
- Face paint sticks in yellow or brown
- Safety pins
- Bandanna or other “patch” material
For the Patches:
- We started updating our costume with little burlap patches, they’re so easy! Simply cut small squares of your burlap and burlap ribbon (it’s helpful if they vary in color), and any other “patch material” you have picked up to coordinate with your costume.
- Layer the square patches and simply adhere to the overalls with small safety pins. This not only adds to the cute look of the outfit, but they’re a breeze to remove later too!
For the Straw Cuffs:
- The next step is to make “straw cuffs” for the costume. Now you can use raffia or something like that for your costume, but honestly to make your kiddo more comfortable you might just want to go with a straw colored yarn like we did. MUCH more comfortable!
- Simply cut a length of sticky-back velcro that will go around your kiddo’s wrist. On one adhesive side, cut and add similar lengths of yarn that will look like straw hanging out of the plaid shirt.
- Secure the yarn with a corresponding strip of adhesive velcro so that the yarn will encircle your kiddo’s wrist and will be secured with the velcro.
For the Straw Hat:
- The final DIY addition to this costume is the Straw Hat. We didn’t have one on hand, but with a foam adventure hat from Michaels kid’s section, it was easy to make!
- Simply trace a few inches around the hat on to a large section of burlap fabric.
- Cut out the large burlap circle and glue it down in sections around the brim of the hat.
- Repeat until the burlap is glued all around the hat.
- Add burlap ribbon and patches to complete the look.
A couple more additions to the costume…I added some braided yarn for a little straw belt and some more yarn pieces to the pockets – easy peasy! And there you have it – just a few DIY’s in and you can assemble and complete your Easy No Sew Scarecrow Costume!
If you’re looking for MORE Halloween costume inspiration, check out our:
And be sure heck out the other 49 DIY costumes from the Michaels Makers and you might just find the perfect one for you, your kiddos or your beloved pet this Halloween– they’re to die for!