Hi friends! For those of you who live in the US – I hope you had a fabulous 4th of July last week! I know we did – I took some time off work, spent time with family – it was fantastic! If you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen a sweet little cake that I shared. One of my husband’s favorite desserts, actually one of the only desserts he will eat, is strawberry shortcake. Now over the years I have made it a NUMBER of different ways, but this time I wanted to make a fun “layered” shortcake for fun. And I love how it turned out visually…and it tasted amazing…and it was REALLY easy, so I wanted to share it with you!
Easy Layered Strawberry Shortcake
- Box Angel Food Cake
- Vanilla Cool Whip Frosting
- Sliced Strawberries
- I used frozen sliced strawberries, so the night before I thawed them a bit and covered them with a little sugar and a dash of vanilla, covered them and left overnight in the refrigerator.
- Bake three 8-inch layers of angel food cake and set aside to cool.
- Once cool and you're ready to serve, cover a first layer of angel food cake with strawberries and juice, topped with Cool Whip frosting.
- Repeat with another layer of angel food cake, strawberries and frosting.
- Top with final layer of angel food cake and top with the rest of the Cool Whip frosting.
So easy but so beautiful and just so tasty! It was a big hit with the family, and with my biggest strawberry shortcake critic – my husband! I will definitely make this again. Now I used Cool Whip frosting because I love the taste of Cool Whip but you could also use fresh whipped cream. That would be tasty too!
And if you’re like me – and you’re making this for the 4th of July – then why not make it festive? I added a few sparkly red, white and blue stars as toppers. Yummy AND patriotic – perfect!
So what did you do for the 4th? Do you have a go-to recipe or dessert for get-togethers? I’d love to know!