Hi friends! Me and 80+ other bloggers got together to bring you 80+ DIY Halloween Costumes, including our Easy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Costume! I want to say a special THANK YOU to our favorite family photographer Stacey of Dream Photography Studio for taking pictures of our sweet ninja turtle. If you’re in the Phoenix area, look her up! She’s always a joy to work with and takes the BEST pictures of our kids!
I’m teaming up with Jamie Dorobek and her handmade Halloween costume site, Really Awesome Costumes to bring y’all tons of easy ideas to craft up DIY Halloween costumes for everyone including your pets, family costumes, and even a trunk or treat idea! Along with our awesome TMNT costume, we’re sharing 88+ more really awesome handmade costume ideas from talented bloggers everywhere!
So now on to the GOODS. Want to know how to make this adorable and EASY Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Costume?
What you’ll need:
- Green footie pajamas (or if you can’t find those in your child’s size, a green shirt and pants would work too!)
- 1/2 yard tan felt
- 1/2 yard orange felt
- 1/2 yard brown felt
- Oval roasting pan
- Green spray paint
- Brown crayon
- Nunchucks (that we made over)
- Fabric fusion tape
- Velcro tape
- Glue gun/glue
And the steps:
- We cut an oval out of the tan felt to cover the belly area of our costume.
- Then we used a brown crayon to draw on a “six pack” like design.
- We attached one half of the felt with fabric fusion tape and if you’re using zip up pajamas like us, you’ll want to attach the other half with velcro so that your child can get in and out of the costume.
- We simply purchased a cheap plastic pair of nunchucks and covered them with the dark brown felt with tan felt accents, using hot glue and fabric fusion tape.
- Then we cut the edging off of the oven pan (minus two inch long tabs at the top to attach the shell later on), covered the sharp edges with duct tape, and spray painted the outside of the pan with green spray paint.
- Once that was dry, we attached velcro to the oven pan tabs at the top and the other end of the velcro on the back of the footie pj’s.
- For the mask, we cut out a strip of orange felt that could be tied around our child’s head and cut out two eye holes.
- We also cut out strips of orange felt for the arm cuffs and attached them with fabric fusion tape.
- Lastly we cut out a long strip of brown felt to tie around the costume as the belt.
Phew! Did you make it through all that? In the end it was REALLY easy. And really homemade, and honestly, really cute! And as always…something that really anyone could do. So if you’re on the hunt for the cutest little DIY cosume for your kiddos, check it out!
Alex had a BLAST being Michaelangelo – he loves his Easy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Costume!
Photography by Stacey of Dream Photography Studio
And now it’s time to share the other 80+ really awesome handmade costume ideas with y’all!
10. Marty McFly
27. Elsa crown
36. DIY Cat Costume
61. Wildstyle Costume from the Lego Movie
70. DIY Skunk Mask
Join our Newsletter!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.