I just love the look of painted mason jars. They’re perfectly versatile for home decor, organization and more. And as we’re gearing up for Spring, what better than some Denim Painted Mason Jars to hold your Spring blooms?! Or jazz up your organization with a row of these beauties. The sky is the limit! So let’s get down to the details…
What you’ll need:
- Mason jars
- Make Market™ Denim Paint – Sand Wash
- Make Market™ Denim Glazing Medium
- Make Market™ Denim Weaving Brush, 3″
- Foam brush
- Sand paper
And the steps:
- Paint your mason jar with Make Market™ Denim Paint, whichever shade of denim you choose. Let the paint dry for one hour and if desired, add another layer of Make Market™ Denim Paint for adequate coverage. After your second coat, let the paint dry for one hour before moving on to the next step.
- Once dry, use sand paper to “roughen up” the finish on your jar. Go over the entire jar lightly, then over raisted areas, such as the wording and the ridges on top. Wipe off the dust and you’re ready for the glaze!
- To achieve the denim effect, dry brush the Make Market™ Denim Glazing Medium onto the outside of the painted mason jar using the Denim Weaving Brush. To dry brush, lightly dab your brush into the glazing medium, then repeatedly dab the brush onto a clean piece of paper to remove excess medium. Gently drag the brush across the outside of the jar at a 45° angle to the jar’s surface. Continue the dry brush technique across the entire surface of the jar, always moving in the same direction (if you started painting left to right always paint left to right).
- Repeat the dry brush technique used in Step 3. Instead of painting left to right or right to left, paint top to bottom. Using strokes that are perpendicular to the previous layer will create a crosshatch effect.
- Let your paint dry; it will be dry in one hour and will cure in 24 hours. Once cured, you may want to seal the paint with a matte spray finish for durability.
Also, Michaels Makers readers are getting the inside scoop on an upcoming craft contest that will send one lucky participant on the trip of a lifetime to Paris. Check back HERE on March 2nd to get all the details on how to enter. Trust me – you’ll want to! So now click around to all of the Michaels Makers Denim Trend Challenge projects – there are some great ones!
Join our Newsletter!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.