Triple Chocolate Cupcakes – decadent chocolate cupcakes filled with homemade chocolate ganache and topped with the BEST chocolate frosting!
I don’t get out much – I’m a working mom and travel quite a bit for work. Which means the “being an adult and doing happy hour outside of my house” isn’t a routine occurrence. But I finally got a shot at having a night out in honor of my friend’s birthday. It was rather fun to have a little girl time and get dressed up. Or at least I thought I was dressed up:
Guy: Hi. You’re pretty.
Me: Well thanks. I usually only get that from two-year-olds who have made me put on bright purple eye shadow.
Guy: I mean, you’d be really pretty if you weren’t wearing gym clothes.
Me: THIS IS A NICE SHIRT. And one of three I own that are free of spaghetti stains.
Guy: Well, then……..
Me: YEAH, BUDDY.
That story really has nothing to do with these cupcakes except that both happened on the same day and it was because of these cupcakes that I had to wear shorts with an elastic waist. WHICH ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS WORKOUT CLOTHES. Okay, so maybe my shirt said Under Armour and it was more of a tshirt than something people normally wear but hey, I’M A MOM.
There’s chocolate, and then there’s chocolate, and then there’s chocolate. And then there’s these cupcakes. Holy cow, these are not for the faint of heart. Not even a little bit – I had a bite and was instantly over the chocolate moon. And then some. They are RICH. But oh, so yummy.
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 C butter room temperature
- 1/2 C pure cane white sugar
- 1/2 C pure cane brown sugar tightly packed
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C buttermilk room temperature
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 3 Tbsp strong brewed coffee room temperature
- 2 C flour
- 3/4 C dutch-process cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Whip butter until fluffy. Add sugars and continue to beat for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until well-combined.
- Add in vanilla, buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee and stir slightly.
- Sift in flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt a little at a time and stir just until combined. Don’t overmix.
- Scoop batter into prepared cupcake tin
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Chocolate Ganache Filling
- 1 1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1 C heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat cream until just before boiling, stirring constantly. Add in vanilla.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Refrigerate mixture for approx 2 hours, stirring occasionally. You're going for the consistency of thick frosting. If you don't have time to do the fridge thing (I think it's easier so I can work on other things while it cools), you can put the bowl down in a larger bowl of ice and whisk away until you get the consistency you want.
- Fill your cupcakes with the ganache. It's easiest to use a piping bag. And you'll have some left over - SAVE IT - you'll need it for the frosting. And for tasting.
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- 4 T cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 C powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C chocolate ganache (or whatever you have leftover from the filling)
- Beat butter and cream cheese until really fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in ganache.
- Beat until well-combined.
- Frost the cupcakes!
- Devour cupcakes!
Like it? Pin it!