Our Slow Cooker Sweet Spicy Sausage is the perfect blend of sweet, spicy and smoky and is sure to be your new favorite appetizer!
Hi, Jenny from Honey and Birch again! Fall to me means pumpkin everything, and my favorite – football season! I am not one of those so-called “football widows” – you will find me watching the game with my husband or my girlfriends, cheering and yelling with the best of them.
My husband jokes around that part of the reason I love football so much is my obsession with tailgating appetizers… and he may be right. There is something about a table full of finger foods and dips that make me so happy. I love sampling each one and picking my favorites. Don’t even get me started on smorgasbords or potluck tailgating parties – how do you pick which of your favorite appetizer recipes to bring?
If you ever have this same dilemma, this recipe for slow cooker sweet spicy sausages is going to be your new favorite appetizer. It sure is mine! It is the perfect blend of sweet, spicy and smoky and is sure to be a football party favorite.
Start by cooking the sauce in a small pot. Saute the garlic and then add the chili sauce and grape jelly. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently. If the jelly doesn’t completely melt at this time, it’s okay – it will finish melting when in the slow cooker. While the sauce is cooking, slice the smoked sausage (you can usually find it in the deli area of grocery stores near the hot dogs) into 1/2 inch pieces and put it in a 2-quart slow cooker.
Add the spices to the sauce, stir and then pour it over the sausage. Heat that in the slow cooker for 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until the sausage is hot and the sauce is bubbly.
I like to flip the slow cooker to warm and serve these delicious sausage chunks from there, but it also works well if you put it in a serving bowl. Place a few toothpicks into some of the sausage chunks and then keep a small bowl of toothpicks some more nearby.
Slow Cooker Sweet Spicy Sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 12 ounces chili sauce
- 12 ounces grape jelly
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 32 ounces fully-cooked sausage cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Pour the oil in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Then add the chili sauce and grape jelly and mix together. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Place the sausage in your slow cooker. Add the spices to the sauce mixture, stir and then pour it over the sausage. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours on high, or until the sausage is hot and the sauce is bubbly. Stir once after 1 hour.
Looking for more appetizer recipes, perfect for tailgating? Try these!
Like it? Pin it!