Get your hands on a bowl of this Cheesy Italian Sausage Potato Chowder – a easy and delicious hearty soup that’s perfect for chilly nights!
As I was pulling on a second sweater and pair of socks the other day, I realized soup season had arrived. Which is awesome, cause it is my favorite. I am a year-round soup eater; even if it is 100 degrees outside, I won’t turn down a hot bowl of soup. Soup season helps my psyche however – people really do give you weird looks when you order chicken noodle soup during the middle of summer.
Or grab a big bowl and have this for dinner – you won’t regret it!
Cheesy Italian Sausage Potato Chowder
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 pound loose mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups peeled diced potato
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onions. Sauté until translucent and add the Italian sausage. Break apart the sausage with a spoon and stir occasionally. When the sausage is brown, remove from heat.
- In a soup pot, combine the potatoes, chicken stock and celery. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked sausage and onions to the soup pot. Add the cream and cheddar cheese, stirring until all ingredients are combined and warmed again. Serve with additional cheddar cheese and green onions sprinkled on top.
Looking for more soup recipes? Try these!
Like it? PIN IT!