Red Wine Red Velvet Cupcakes – delicious and moist cupcakes with a hint of your favorite red wine!
Red Wine Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 3/4 C butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 C pure cane sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 t red gel dye
- 1/2 C red wine I used Pinot Noir because that’s what was open…
- 1 1/3 T strong brewed coffee room temperature
- approx 1/3 C buttermilk room temperature
- 1 T vinegar
- 2 1/2 C flour sifted
- 1/3 C cocoa not dutch-process
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350
Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
Beat in eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined. Add in vinegar.
In a two-cup measuring cup (or larger), add red wine and coffee. Fill to 1 C with buttermilk. Whisk in red dye. Alternate adding this mixture with sifting in the remaining dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.
Spoon into prepared cupcake pans and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool on a wire rack while you drink a glass of red. I mean, make the frosting. Or whatever.
Red Wine Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 C butter room temperature
- 2 C powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 C red wine
- 2/3 C heavy cream chilled
- red food coloring as desired
Whip cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until creamy. Stir in red wine.
Gradually pour in the cream and increase speed to high. Continue to whip until still peaks form.
Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Like it? Pin it!
Ashlee Michelle says
These sound oh so delicious!
Oh man, these cupcakes look amazing. You did a fabulous job.
Mommy Perfect says
Those cupcakes look amazing. What a great idea adding wine!
Thank you! In my opinion, the best ideas always involve wine 🙂