Red Wine Red Velvet Cupcakes – delicious and moist cupcakes with a hint of your favorite red wine!
Red Wine Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 3/4 C butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 C pure cane sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 t red gel dye
- 1/2 C red wine I used Pinot Noir because that’s what was open…
- 1 1/3 T strong brewed coffee room temperature
- approx 1/3 C buttermilk room temperature
- 1 T vinegar
- 2 1/2 C flour sifted
- 1/3 C cocoa not dutch-process
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined. Add in vinegar.
- In a two-cup measuring cup (or larger), add red wine and coffee. Fill to 1 C with buttermilk. Whisk in red dye. Alternate adding this mixture with sifting in the remaining dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.
- Spoon into prepared cupcake pans and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack while you drink a glass of red. I mean, make the frosting. Or whatever.
Red Wine Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 C butter room temperature
- 2 C powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 C red wine
- 2/3 C heavy cream chilled
- red food coloring as desired
- Whip cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until creamy. Stir in red wine.
- Gradually pour in the cream and increase speed to high. Continue to whip until still peaks form.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Like it? Pin it!