This Honey Bun Cake is reminiscent of the snack cake! A yellow cake mix is doctored up with a few ingredients, including a delicious cinnamon-nut layer!
Hey, y’all! It’s Jamie from Love Bakes Good Cakes again! I’m back this month with my Honey Bun Cake. This cake is so popular, that it seems everyone has a version of the Honey Bun Cake – and if you don’t, you should! It’s always a hit! Seriously, always!
I first had a Honey Bun Cake at a church breakfast several years ago and I had to have the recipe! Since it starts with a box of yellow cake mix, it’s super easy to put together – making it great for a weekend breakfast! Of course, it’s great for dessert too! 🙂 The first time I had this cake at the church, I was really quite surprised by how much this reminded me of an actual honey bun! I do hope you’ll give it a try!
- 1 box (15.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 container (8 oz.) sour cream
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 13x9 inch pan or use baking spray with flour and set aside.
- Beat cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream in a large bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape bowl and mix for an additional minute.
- Spread half of the batter into prepared pan.
- In a separate medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over batter in pan.
- Drop remaining batter by dollops over brown sugar mixture, then carefully spread to evenly cover the brown sugar mixture completely.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- In a small bowl, stir powdered sugar, milk and vanilla together until thin enough to drizzle. Spread over top of
- Store covered.