The perfect treat for the book lover in your life, whip up these Easy Bookworm Cookies for a fun and adorable book loving treat!
National Book Lovers Day
Hi friends! Did you know, it’s National Book Lovers Day? Yup, August 9th is an unofficial holiday that encourages people to pick up a book (or two) and spend the day reading. Now many of our kiddos are probably spending the day at school, but I know that mine will spend part of their afternoon reading! And why not – books are full of fun and adventure! So if your kids are like mine and love to celebrate random holidays or they just love themed treats, these Easy Bookworm Cookies are for you!
What you’ll need:
- Miniature Oreo cookies
- Wilton light green candy melts
- Wilton light brown candy melts
- Candy eyes
- Parchment paper
- Decorating bag
How to Make Easy Bookworm Cookies
1. In a small microwave safe bowl, heat 2 cups of green and 1/2 cup of brown candy melts in separate microwave safe bowls on 50% power for 3-4 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
2. Carefully press each cookie so that it doesn’t break apart.
3. Using a fork, coat each cookie in melted green chocolate, shake any excess off and place on a parchment paper lined baking pan.
4. Repeat step 3 with 5 cookies, placing each one next to each other in a “bumpy” pattern.
5. Place 2 candy eyes on the Oreo farthest right and transfer to the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
6. In a small microwave safe bowl, heat 1/2 cup of your light cocoa candy melts on 50% power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted, pour into a decorating bag and cut a tiny tip off the end of the bag.
7. Use your decorating bag of light cocoa candy melts to write “READ” onto the bookworms, one letter per cookie starting at the left side and working your way over.
8. Draw a smile under the eyes, let harden and enjoy!
I mean, HOW CUTE are those?! I don’t know about you, but even I would like to snack on some Easy Bookworm Cookies. So whip up some for National Book Lovers day or any day really for your kids! They will appreciate the fun and tasty treat!