Hi friends! I hope you had a fabulous weekend and if you’re a mom, that you had a great Mother’s Day! Today I’m sharing a delicious strawberry cake that, yes – starts with a box cake – but you’d never know by the taste! Now, the story behind this cake. Strawberry cake is my husband’s favorite cake. And I’m sure I’m not the only one in history who’s tried a shortcut here and there – right? So when I was shopping for Easter lunch and saw a strawberry boxed cake and strawberry frosting in the store I thought I had hit the jackpot! But then I made the cake. And whoa. It was not at all what I had in mind! It tasted like some kind of strawberry candy – and when most of the cake went uneaten, I knew I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t impressed. So I set out for a delicious compromise.
So like many of our cupcake recipes here on A Night Owl, our Tastes Like Homemade Strawberry Cake starts with a box cake mix!
Strawberry Box Cake - Tastes Like Homemade!
- 1 plain white cake mix
- 1 3 oz box strawberry Jello
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries and juice fresh or thawed frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake mix, strawberry Jello, flour, oil, sugar, milk, eggs and strawberries and juice with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Pour batter into a rectangular cake pan or into three round cake pans.
- Bake for 33-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- If you're stacking round cakes, remove from the pans and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before frosting.
- Frost with Easy Strawberry Frosting and enjoy!
Easy Strawberry Frosting
- 8 tbsp 1 stick butter at room temperature
- 4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- With an electric mixer, blend softened butter.
- Add sifted confectioners sugar and strawberries (with minimal juice) and mix on low until blended.
- Continue to blend on low until the frosting is creamy.
- If the frosting is too thin, add more sugar; if it is too thick, add more strawberries.
Well there you have it! The cake is fairly easy and tastes oh so delicious! And if making your own frosting is too much, you could even use a can of frosting from the store and I’m sure it would taste great as well. I think a yummy cream cheese frosting would be fantastic too – I just try to limit the amount of dairy in desserts I make for my boys.
So if you’re looking for a shortcut that won’t taste like a shortcut (ahem, strange-tasting strawberry box cake), then give this a try! Let me know what you think! This is one cake that didn’t go to waste in our home, and I’ll be making it again soon!