Hi friends! I think we’re fully in “Summer mode” here on the blog. Yesterday we shared tasty Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles and today we’re sharing a YUMMY Strawberry Agua Fresca recipe!
If you follow me on Instagram, you might see every now and again that I share my #FoodTruckFriday adventures. I work in downtown Phoenix, and sometimes we make it out to grab a bite from the public market area that is packed full of people and food trucks every Friday. I’m a big fan of the grilled cheese truck – Paradise Melts, and the grill truck who always has a tasty variety of agua frescas to enjoy! Do you love agua fresca? Do you even know what it is? Sometimes I’m not sure because here in the Southwest these things are just a way of life.
Basically agua frescas (meaning “fresh waters” in Spanish) are a combination of fruit and water – perfectly refreshing for the HOT Summer months here in the AZ! Anyhoo, last week I had a strawberry agua fresca that was out of this world. So much so, that this weekend I set out to make my own. And it turned out PRETTY GOOD if I do say so myself! So I thought I would share with you! Basically I took strawberries, hulled and sliced, mashed, marinated then blended them with sugar and water.
I ran that mixture through a fine mesh strainer to get out all the seeds and “bits.” I then combined that juice with more water, threw in some ice and more strawberry slices for good measure – and the result? One TASTY Strawberry Agua Fresca!
The kids REALLY enjoyed it too! My youngest kept saying “more STRAWBERRY mama!” I think next time I might have to make it when they’re not around so I can have the whole jar to myself! If you want to try your own, here’s the nitty gritty…
Strawberry Agua Fresca
- 2 cups ripe strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups water
- Sliced strawberries for garnish optional
- In a medium sized bowl, mash your strawberries, sugar and about a half cup of water, cover and place in your refrigerator.
- After a couple of hours, take the strawberry mixture out of the refrigerator and blend.
- Run the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, keeping the resulting strawberry juice and discarding the pulp and seeds.
- Add the remaining water to the strawberry juice, chill and serve with ice and sliced strawberries for garnish!
Doesn’t that sound perfectly delicious? Well it IS! I think it’s in the stars for me to try a few MORE of these this year. What do you think? I hope you’ll give it a try and let me know what you think.