These Easy Shark Cookies made with sugar cookies, buttercream frosting and gummy sharks are the perfect treat for your Shark Party or #SharkWeek!
easy shark cookies
Hi friends! We’re just days away from #SharkWeek, are you going to watch? Thanks to summer break, our boys are gearing up for a week long shark fest! Hanging out in their new Shark Blankets I snagged from Amazon, whipping up some Shark Slime and eating Strawberry Lemonade Chumsicles! And today we’re sharing another fun shark-themed treat that was super easy to whip up – this no churn Shark Frenzy Ice Cream!
shark cookie Ingredients
- Sugar cookies
- Powdered sugar
- Teal food coloring
- Gummy sharks
How to Make shark cookies
So we used one of my favorite sugar cookie decorating “hacks” and started with sugar cookies from the local grocery store! You can always start with your favorite sugar cookie recipe, or buy a bag mix or the take and bake kind; we skipped right to the end with store-bought cookies. I love doing this when I’m doing any kind of decorating with the kids because honestly it lets you just focus on the time with your kids rather than focusing on baking right out of the gate.
I do, however, like to make my own buttercream frosting for decorating. I find that homemade frosting tastes so much better than store-bought and only takes a few minutes. Start with room temperature butter (the softer the better), and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy. Gradually add in your confectioners sugar until fully incorporated then add your vanilla. Next, add a little milk and stir until the frosting is the consistency you’re looking for, then add your food coloring and mix until uniform.
Once your frosting is ready to go, spread a little on your sugar cookie with a knife or spatula. Then add your gummy sharks! I found these awesome gummy sharks at Sprouts, but you can find Gummy Sharks on Amazon, World Market, most grocery and candy stores, especially right now.
Tools Used to make this Recipe:
- Gummy Sharks: The key to this recipe is the adorable gummy sharks!
- Wood Cutting Board: I love using cutting boards as an easy base for decorating!
- Offset Spatula: Great for working with frosting!
For More Shark Week Ideas, Check Out:
- Shark Frenzy Ice Cream
- DIY SHARK SLIME
- SHARK KEYCHAINS
- SHARK WEEK: STRAWBERRY LEMONADE CHUMSICLES
- 25+ SHARK IDEAS: CRAFTS, ACTIVITIES AND MORE!
Shark Cookies Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 drops food teal coloring or as needed (optional)
- Cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer, the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until fully incorporated.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add food coloring, if using, and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached.