This DIY Where the Wild Things Are Costume is adorable, easy and no-sew! Make it for a fraction of the cost of a commercial costume with supplies from Michaels Stores. Child photo credit: Jolie Anne Photography
Hi friends! It’s OCTOBER. Can you believe it? This year has just FLOWN by and my little baby, my little guy…I can’t believe it, but he’s turning 1 this month! Ahhhh! Just last year at this time I wasn’t so much thinking about Halloween costumes but rather giving birth to this little guy and while last year he wore a little pumpkin onesie at just a few days old on Halloween, THIS YEAR we’re breaking out the DIY costume FUN! Whether you’re into spooky sights, playful pumpkins or giggling ghouls, Michaels is your Boo-It-Yourself Halloween Headquarters and has tons of ideas for DIY costumes and décor.
I love making costumes for my kiddos though I do have to admit that when it comes down to it, they tend to wear the $20 store versions for heading out trick-or-treating. But for this little guy? I think we’re going to do a bunch of costume ideas this year because dressing up an adorable almost-1-year-old is just too much fun! So first up? Max from Where the Wild Things Are.
What You’ll Need:
- Elastic banding
- Liquid stitch
- Golden wool felt
- Craft fur
- Craft boa (not shown, but simply cut and pinned on for tail)
- Measure elastic banding large enough to go around your child’s head plus about an inch.
- Cut 4 inch strips of the golden wool felt and using liquid stitch glue along the elastic banding. Let dry (about 30 minutes).
- Cut 1 1/2 inch strips of the craft fur and using liquid stitch glue on top of the felt strips, covering the bottom of the elastic banding. Let dry (about 30 minutes).
- Create a crown point template from cardstock or cardboard and use to create crown shape out of felt.
- To reinforce the shape of the crown and ensure it “stands” now add another layer of felt to the back of the felt crown using liquid stitch to adhere.
- Add a piece of velcro to both ends of the elastic banding.
And there you have it! In just a few easy, no-sew steps you have yourself one gorgeous DIY Crown for Max from Where the Wild Things Are!
This is absolutely adorable!
Paige Flamm says
This is so cute! I’m obsessed!
Hi, I was just wondering what store you got the fur boa from?? Thank you!
Kimberly Sneed says
Hi Shelly – I got that from Michaels! There should be an aisle that has kids craft supplies (like googly eyes and popsicle sticks), that’s where I got the feather boa. Hope that helps!