Thank you to DecoArt for sponsoring today’s DIY Four Leaf Clover Sign! I am a part of the DecoArt Core Bloggers program; all projects, pictures and opinions are my own.
Hi friends! I’m excited today to share with you not only a fun and festive St. Patrick’s Day project, but also a new product line by DecoArt – Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint! Can I get a woohoo?! If you’ve worked with chalk paint before, then you already know that the paint is a dream. And this new line by DecoArt is no exception! And because it’s DecoArt – there are a TON of amazing colors – all available right now exclusively at Home Depot! But enough gushing (I do LOVE the product), now to today’s project – a DIY Four Leaf Clover Sign, the perfect decor for St. Patrick’s Day!
I went to my local home repair store recently and had them cut down 1/4″ birch wood into 2 foot squares. These squares are perfect for all sorts of projects! Today is no exception. I also picked up 4 wooden heart plaques from Michaels – I knew painted, they would make one adorable clover. So I grabbed my paint and got to work!
What you’ll need:
- Americana Chalky Finish Paint (I used New Life, Fortune and Rustic)
- Square piece of birch wood
- Heart plaques
- Paint brush
- Glue gun/glue
- Twine for hanging
And the steps:
- First I created a wash with the Rustic paint (simply mix paint with water), so that the would grain would show through.
- I applied the wash to the birch square and set aside to let dry.
- I then started on the heart plaques. I first added New Life to the edges of the plaques, for a 3-step distressing process.
- Next I painted the entire heart plaque in Fortune.
- After a few minutes, I took a wet rag and rubbed the edges of the plaque to “distress” them and let the New Life paint show through.
- Once dry, I sealed all painted pieces with clear wax – applying with a brush and wiping off excess.
- I then glued the heart plaques onto the birch square with hot glue, in a clover shape.
- Lastly, I added some tacks and twine for hanging.
And I absolutely am IN LOVE with the result! You know how there are some projects that pictures just don’t do them justice? Well this is one of them! Using the Chalky Finish paint was just so easy and I really love the colors and texture. They truly brought out the best in what I had envisioned for this project.
I love the warmness of the birch wood, but that with the wash, the wood grain still shows through.
I love the fantastic green hues that are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day – and how easy it was to give the clover a worn, distressed look. It adds so much more dimension and character to the project!
So what do you think? Do you think our DIY Four Leaf Clover sign is the perfect project for YOUR St. Patrick’s Day? I promise that you can “do this at home!” It’s such a fun project to take on – and I promise you’ll love the results! Now I’m off to find another project for this amazing new Americana Chalky Finish Paint Line! Remember, if you want to pick up your own (and you DO), they’re available right now exclusively at Home Depot! Happy crafting!
sharing at show and tell, link party palooza, the 36th avenue, tidy mom, tip junkie
Pauline Molinari says
Brilliant! Love the two toned green paint technique!
Kimberly Sneed says
Thank you Pauline! 🙂
This is so cute, and so simple– two of my favorite characteristics of a craft.
Check out my cinchy St. Patrick’s day bunting; it took me a total of ten minutes to whip it together.
Kimberly Sneed says
Very cute, grace!
This is really cute, but it’s not a shamrock! Four leaf clovers aren’t Irish at all ( it’s a common misconception!) Shamrocks only have three leaves. But you could easily adapt the idea and make a cute shamrock sign out of it! Or just have it be a good luck sign and keep it up year round! 🙂