It’s Fall y’all! Well we’re pretty much there, right? For us it will be sipping on iced pumpkin spice lattes until the temperatures cool off. Sheesh! Until then we can pretend that the nights are cooling off and that it’s apple picking season, right? Today we’re sharing the cutest little project to get you in the mood, this darling little DIY Apple Chalkboard!
What you’ll need:
- Wooden plaque
- Martha Stewart Chalkboard Paint in Habanero
- Martha Stewart Liquid Chalk
- Martha Stewart Laser-cut Stencils
- Green felt
- Foam paintbrush (with round wooden handle)
- Glue gun/glue
And the steps:
- Simply paint your wooden plaque with Martha Stewart’s new chalkboard paint in habanero (red). Apply a couple of coats, waiting an hour in between.
- Let the chalkboard paint dry for at least 24 hours to cure.
- Then you’re going to want to add the “stem.” We used the end of the foam paint brush we used in Step 1! We drilled a hole in the top of the plaque the size of the wooden handle.
- Then use a saw to cut off a piece the size you’d like your stem.
- Paint the stem a coordinating color and glue into the top of your plaque.
- Cut out a small leaf from green felt, if you double up the thickness the leaf will stand up better.
- Season your completed board with chalk then add words or designs to your chalkboard!
We played around with the new Martha Stewart liquid chalk and stencils and it was so much fun! I’m no fancy chalkboard artist so I can see a lot of use for these products for sure. I love how easily the chalk was applied and it is so easy to clean off and use the chalkboard again. First we created a version of the DIY Apple Chalkboard that could be given as a cute teacher’s gift!
Isn’t that so fun? Perfect for the classroom, don’t you think? Or if you’re keeping the cute little DIY Apple Chalkboard for yourself (and who would blame you?) toss it in with your apple barrel for fun Fall decor!
Either way it was a fun project to complete! So head down to your craft store today and pick up some of this amazing colored chalkboard paint! It’s so easy to work with and with all the fun new colors the sky is the limit!
Thank you to the editors of Martha Stewart Living for sponsoring this post as part of the #12MonthsofMartha program! I received product in exchange for this project; however, all opinions are my own.
Join our Newsletter!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.