Cherry Limeade Cupcakes – sweet, subtle lime cake meets cherry curd in this bakers’ confectionery take on a cherry limeade.
Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
For the cake:
- 1 C butter room temperature
- 1 1/3 C pure cane white sugar
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C whole milk room temperature
- 1/3 C lime juice room temperature
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- food coloring to taste (I used Americolor Electric Green)
For the cherry Kriek curd:
- 10 oz dark sweet cherries I used frozen since they were out of season
- 1/3 C Kriek which is a sour cherry beer
- 1/2 C pure cane white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 Tbsp butter
For the cherry curd frosting:
- 3/4 C salted butter room temperature
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese
- 1/4 C cherry kriek curd from above recipe
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 C powdered sugar sifted
- *more Kriek as needed for consistency - I needed 2 Tbsp
Make the curd first:
- In a small saucepan, heat cherries and Kriek and allow to simmer, stirring constantly, until the cherries have broken down – about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk together sugar and eggs in another saucepan over medium heat. Using a strainer to remove skins/pits, add the cherry mixture, followed by the butter. Keep stirring until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Cover and refrigerate until cool.
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Beat the butter, sugar, and lime zest together until nice and fluffy. Add eggs one a time, then the vanilla. Scrape the bowl to make sure it’s all incorporated.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and set aside. Whisk the food coloring into the milk and set aside. This is not a necessary step, but I find I get smoother-colored cakes and have to mix the batter less.
- Alternate adding the milk, flour mixture, and lime juice and stir just until combined.
- Scoop the batter into lined cupcake tins and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool while you prepare the frosting.
For the frosting:
- Beat butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the cherry curd and vanilla.
- Stir in sifted powdered sugar (your frosting should be very thick. If not, add more sugar)
- Gently add in additional Kriek as needed until you reach a consistency that holds it's shape but is easily manageable.
- Spoon cherry curd over the tops of the cooled lime cupcakes (about 1Tbsp, give or take)
- Pipe your cherry frosting on top of that and garnish with a Bing cherry.
More Chuck & Welly goodness: