Blue Ribbon Blueberry Pie – an award-winning fresh blueberry pie with hints of citrus and ginger – the perfect summer BBQ treat!
side note: do y’all have any idea how hard it is to photograph a pie?! Much less while it’s warm because you don’t have the patience to not eat it immediately?!
- your favorite pie crust (you'll need enough for a top & bottom crust for a 9-inch pie: I like this recipe)
- 4 C fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- zest of one lemon
- ¾ C pure cane white sugar
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 3 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, corn starch, orange juice, cinnamon, and ginger until well-mixed.
- Stir in berries and lemon zest.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with one crust and roll out the second crust.
- Fill the crust with the blueberry mixture and top with small bits of butter.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out your favorite shapes from the second crust (I'm a pie-puritan and like circles) and layer them on top.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. If it starts getting too brown on the edges, just cover the edges with foil and continue to bake.
- If you want it to look pretty, allow the pie to cool for at least two hours - this will let the filling "set". If you're impatient/hungry/me, then eat it immediately. Goopy filling and all.