We’re introducing a new series here for all you Night Owls called “Late Night Snack“! Our contributor Jen will be posting a monthly yummy recipe for those late night cravings, and here is the first installment: Pink Lemonade Cupcakes!
Living in sunny AZ means dealing with the heat…A LOT!! There are few things more refreshing than an ice cold glass of Pink Lemonade on a hot summer day! Knowing that for a lot of people August marks the end of summer (although it’ll still be warm here until October) I thought it’d be nice to give the summer a proper goodbye with some delicious [and simple] pink lemonade cupcakes!
I’m a busy momma so I don’t usually make a lot of things from scratch especially cake and frosting..I’m more about tweaking things to make them fun and unique.. A reci-tweak
- 1- box white cake mix
- 3-egg whites
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- 1 packet pink lemonade KoolAid
- Red food coloring (opt)
- [Yep, KoolAid! This powder is so concentrated it doesn't take much to get that delicious tart lemonade flavor! Imagine all the possibilities with the other flavors.]
- Make the cake mix according to the directions on the box (mine called for egg whites, water, and vegetable oil) then add all but ¾ teaspoon of the KoolAid powder. Be sure to use a hand mixer to get the batter super smooth!
- If you want your cake to appear more pink, you’ll also need to drop in a dot of food coloring, it doesn’t take much to get a great pink color!
- Put the cupcakes in the oven per the package directions and remove and cool.
- While the cupcakes are baking, start stirring up your frosting. Add the ¾ teaspoon of KoolAid and mix into the frosting (you can put in less or more depending on how tart you’d like it)
- And that’s it! You’ve turned a simple white box cake and canned vanilla frosting into a delicious and refreshing treat!